Tuesday, October 13, 2009


Psalm 49:15 says, "But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave, for He shall receive me." What really caught my attention was the phrase 'the power of the grave.' So often salvation is presented as a future event. When we get to heaven, then we see the fruits of our salvation; pearly gates, streets of gold, etc. And all that will be great. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Bible describes; I'm looking forward to seeing loved ones, Bible heroes, all that. But salvation isn't just a future event. It's a present event. Every day, I can demonstrate the fruits of my salvation. Why? Because God has redeemed by soul from the power of the grave. We're not just saved from the penalty of sin, i.e., Hell. We're saved from the power of sin-we are no longer slaves to sin. Before Christ, I couldn't avoid sin. After Christ, I've got the choice. I now have within me the power to choose holiness instead of wickedness, righteousness instead of immorality. I can live in the freedom by which I've been made free. I can cast aside every hindrance and the sin which so easily entangles and run the race with Christ has set out for me to run. What a powerful promise this is! I can see the fruits of my salvation today, not just in the future. In fact, scripture tells me that I better see the fruits of my salvation. Jesus said you know someone by their fruit, right? Not by the fact that they walked an aisle or were baptized or any of that. You know someone by their fruit. Does my life bear the fruit of salvation? Am I bearing witness that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Master? One of the most important questions we can ask ourselves is this; since I say I'm saved, what am I saved from? Are we saved from the power of sin in our daily lives? God has redeemed us from the power of the grave. Jesus saves us from the power, the presence, and the penalty of sin (that sermon is copyrighted, by the way-don't use it without my written permission). Let's live that truth today.

Father, thank You for saving me in spite of who I am. Thank You for loving a wretched, wicked sinner enough to provide an atoning sacrifice. Thank You for the blood of Jesus that washes away my sins. Thank you for the power that defeated the grave. Help me today to walk in victory over sin. Not because I have the power to, but because You have the power to, and I am walking in submission to You. Be glorified in my life today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment